Thursday, July 9, 2009

Reviews and Recommendations

About a month ago I mentioned that I had bought Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion for my c-section scar and stretch marks and how it smells wonderful. I've been using it consistently since I bought it and it is already making a difference. My scar is much less noticeable than it used to be. I have the pump bottle and use it all over, not just on my scar. My elbows and knees are softer and the dry patches I usually get on my shoulder blades are gone. Also, I love the smell.

:::

I just finished reading The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde and really enjoyed it. The concept is quirky. It's set in England in an alternate reality where the Crimea war is still raging on, people clone Dodos for pets, and literature is taken very seriously. Thursday next is a detectives in the SpecOps, SO-27, which is the Literatec division. The crime she is pursuing in this story is the theft of the original Charlotte Bronte manuscript of Jane Eyre, and the subsequent kidnapping of Jane Eyre from the story by the evil Acheron Hades.

It's a very entertaining read, although the plot sometimes spends too long on aspects of the story that don't need it and not long enough on parts that are really interesting. Luckily Jasper Fforde has written many sequels with the second book in his series being Lost in a Good Book. I have not read it yet, but it is on my reading list.

:::

I restarted my exercise program this week after avoiding it for about a month. Lately I've been all about Jillian Michaels. I did the 30-Day Shred and I've done her No More Trouble Zones. Plus, I have her iFit cards for my treadmill. However, I decided to start with a program I did when I lost the weight with Gabe, before going back to Jillian.

I am doing Slim in 6, which is a Beachbody workout series. There are three levels, plus an additional ab routine and a stretching routine. The goal is to do the workout six days a week for six weeks. The first level is Start it Up, which I'm doing this week, and let me tell you, my thighs are sore. The amount of squats that you do... ouch! It is a good workout, and doesn't require any equipment except a mat, which you could probably do without if you have a soft carpet. It's also only 25 minutes from start to finish, which makes it a doable introduction to the program.

My scale this morning claimed that I've lost a three pounds since Monday, which I'm not sure is true, but it gives me a nice warm fuzzy to see the numbers on my scale going down again. Especially since my lack of exercise and poor eating over the past up had caused the scale to go up. I need to post of picture to the Flickr Accountability Pool.

I really want to lose the weight for good. I know my current weight isn't bad, but it's not at a number that I'm satisfied with. My middle is still too squishy, and my muscles have no tone. Especially my thighs and upper arms. I also want my pants to stop feeling a little tight. I'm really hoping I can stick with an exercise routine this time.

:::

P.S. Nick is still getting in the same three teeth, and is still waking up often at night. I'm exhausted and desperately need more sleep. His 15-month check up is today and I'm hoping his pediatrician has some suggestions. Because Tylenol? Not working. Baby Orajel? Not working. Letting him cry it out? NOT FREAKING WORKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment