Wednesday, July 1, 2009

While You Were Sleeping

So Nick hasn't been sleeping well lately. He's been getting about three teeth in for the past three weeks, and the one in the front has only recently broken through the skin. He's constantly walking around with something stuffed in his mouth - usually his hand. He's also mastered the sport of extreme screaming.

Usually it starts between 12:30 a.m and 1:00 a.m. Sometimes he will go right back to sleep after he's comforted, other times he'll be up for an hour with the constant screaming. Sometimes he wakes up every hour for a couple of minutes. Sometimes he also wakes up at 10:00 p.m., about a half hour after I've turned out the lights and finally fallen asleep. This morning he was up for about an hour starting at 1:00 a.m, and then got up again at 4:17 a.m., and didn't go back to sleep.

It doesn't help for Oscar to go in there. Even if Nick switches from screaming mamamamamamamamamama to dadadadadadadadadadadadadadadada. He goes in there and Nick will calm down for maybe 1.2 seconds before he starts screaming some more. If I don't respond instantly he might pause for 0.5 seconds before he starts screaming even louder and holding the wailing.

It's like he's thinking "okay, I'm screaming, Mama will be here any minute. Okay, she's not coming. ::pause:: Maybe if I scream LOUDER. ::pause:: Maybe if I hold it LONGER. Okay, any second now, she'll be here. MAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMA!!!!!" Finally I give in and go get him from Oscar. Usually it's just not worth his trouble to get out of bed. He's probably just going to get yelled at.

I am beyond exhausted. I think I was exhausted after a week of this. At this point I'm barely more than a zombie, existing not on human flesh, but on caffeine. I really hope those teeth make their appearance soon. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment