Saturday, July 11, 2009

Look Who's Talking

On Thursday Nick had his 15-month check up (not on Tuesday like we originally thought). It was a good appointment, and the main focus was on the fact that he's not sleeping. We got a recommendation for a new methodology to try out - The No Cry Sleep Solution. Oscar ordered it from Amazon yesterday, so it should be here next week. I hope it works, since I really miss sleep. Last night Nick was up EVERY hour starting at 9:30. Without caffeine I'd be a goner.

He also got measured and weighed. He is 30 inches long, which puts him in the 95th percentile for height and 23 lbs 8oz, which puts him in the 40th percentile for weight. We also got approval to switch his car seat around, so he will finally face forward. It was nice to not have the eating discussions like we have always had at Gabe's appointments. Nick eats a wide variety of food and in a good amount. Gabe still is a very picky eater.

Nick also showed off his tricks. He showed her his forward roll and his wide vocabulary, which impressed our pediatrician. She said his language skills surpassed that of an 18-month-old and were closer to that of a 2-year-old. It felt good to hear that. We constantly talk to him, and teach him words, and use the correct terms and he's listening. Absorbing it all like a sponge. He can even say a couple of two word phrases, such as "me snack", "thank you", "buh bye", "nigh night", "ba please". Of course it doesn't come out quite that clearly, but we understand him.

:::

I've been alone this weekend with Nick. Gabe went to the country house with my MIL yesterday afternoon, and Oscar drove up last night after I got home from work. My MIL was having a shed delivered up there, and Oscar was going to help here put it together. Oscar and Gabe are supposed to be home sometime before dinner.

It's been very quiet. Nick and I get along well. He's easy to entertain. Easy to feed. And generally easy to put down for a nap. I've had plenty of play time with him as well as time to do chores around the house and use the computer. The TV hasn't been on at all. We've read Good Night Moon 10 billion times. It's been very peaceful, but I miss Oscar and Gabe. Nick does too. He keeps looking and calling for both of them. Luckily they're on their way home now.

As a treat I opened up one of the last two toys from Nick's birthday. It's a Yo Gabba Gabba Dancing Brobee. I think it's a little odd, but Nick likes it. When he wants it to dance he'll run up to me and point to Brobee and go "dass, dass", and then giggle delighedly when it does.

He's also been fascinated with my computer. My computer is sitting on a tray table in the living room, so that I can do homework without being distracted by Oscar watching TV. The couch out there is low, so it's easy for Nick to climb up on. I've come out of the kitchen numerous times today to discover him doing this:

Luckily he's really cute. Love the scrunch face.


:::

This past week I've been really consistent with my diet and exercise, which I'm proud of. I know a week isn't much, but it's better than I have been doing. Last night I moved on from Slim in 6 Phase 1: Start it Up to Slim in 6 Phase 2: Ramp it Up, which is twice the length and adds resistance band work.

I still have a quite a few pounds to lose before I get to where I want to be, but I'm confident that as long as I'm consistent with my diet and exercise most of the time that I will be successful. It's not always easy. There are nights when I'm so tired that the last thing I want to do is work out. Or Oscar might suggest going out to eat, which of course sounds way better than the healthy meal I planned out.

I'm not always going to be successful. Some nights I may work out any way. Some nights I won't. Some nights I'll choose eating out over my diet. Nobody is perfect. The key is choosing my diet and exercise most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment