Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Go Ask Grandma

Reasons I am glad my boys are watched by their Grandma:

  • They are cared for by someone who loves them as much as Oscar and I do.
  • They get plenty of chances to run outside and play.
  • She takes them to the library.
  • And to the fire station.
  • And to feed the ducks.
  • They get one-on-one attention.
  • She does lots of craft projects with them.
  • She makes them home cooked meals.
  • They also get to spend time with their Grandpa and Aunt Re.
  • They get to cook (today Gabe helped make pancakes, raspberry jelly, and a vanilla milkshake, which he referred to as a muscle milkshake).
  • She is able to take Gabe to his weekly gym class and to summer camp.
  • She can watch the boys earlier or later, if we need it.
  • She has a sandbox and a water table for them to play with.
  • She has lots of toys for them to play with.
  • She reads to them regularly.
  • She doesn't let them watch much TV (Gabe watches maybe an hour at the most, and only if the weather is bad).
  • They regularly play with her neighbor's grandchildren who are around the same age.
There are probably a lot of other reasons that I'm just not thinking about now. I complain a lot about my MIL watching the boys to Oscar. And yes, there are a lot of things that bother me. But I don't want to forget that they are lucky to be watched by their Grandma. It's the next best thing to Oscar or I being able to watch them.

Of course, I wish circumstances were different, and I could be the one to stay home with them. And yet, I'm not sure that would be what was best for them. I need to work, I think. I need to have that adult interaction. That separate part of my existence. I don't know that I would make a good stay at home mom. I love my children very much, and I know I would do my best, but would my best be as good as Grandma? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment