Saturday, January 24, 2009

Blast From the Past

So I finally joined Facebook. I had been resisting, but I thought maybe it wouldn't hurt to just peek, see who is on there. It can be addictive. I've found a number of really good friends from high school that I haven't talked to in years. It's weird, too. My last memories of my high school friends are as teenagers, from the perspective of a teenager. We lived with our parents. And now, some of us our parents. And married. And we have real jobs.

I don't know why I was so hesitant to join the networking site. I guess I was just worried about having the time to keep up with it, but really, it's nice to talk to old friends. There was a reason we were friends in high school, so it's not unrealistic to think that we could be friends almost 10 years later (wow, has it really been that long?). My life is so consumed by my family and my job and my degree, that having an easy way to stay in touch and catch up is nice.

It's also nice to remember that I am still my own person outside of my role as a mother. Sometimes I forget that I am more than just Gabe and Nick's mom. That's another reason I really enjoy when Oscar and I go out on kids-free "dates". We get to connect and talk and remember why we fell in love and had children in the first place. Next Saturday we are going on a date and I'm really looking forward to it. We're going to a Japanese Steakhouse, which is always fun, and we'll still be home at a decent hour to put the babies to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment