Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sleeping Beauty

Last Friday we started sleep training Nick. In other words, we are trying to get him to go to sleep on his own, rather than being nursed to sleep. He's allowed to have one more feeding - usually around 10:30 pm - and then for any other night wakings we're supposed to have him go back to sleep on his own. Bedtime works beautifully. We usually only have to go into Nick's room once or twice before he goes to sleep on his own. It's the other wakings that are the issue. He is still getting up at 10:30, 1:30 or 2:00, and 5:00 before getting up for good at about 6:15. And I usually fall asleep for 2 hours or so in the big green chair in his room during his last feeding.

My goal is to start eliminating wakings, starting with the middle of the night one (1:30ish). That is more challenging than it sounds. Not only do I dislike hearing Nick cry, it is even more painful in the middle of the night when I am tired. Plus there is the added dilemma of not wanting Nick's crying to wake up Gabe, which is especially hard since their rooms are right next door to each other. Still, it has to be done. Nick needs to be sleeping through the night, not just for his health, but for my sanity. I really am done with being tired all the time. Not that I don't love cuddling a snuggly baby, I just would prefer to do it when we're not both supposed to be sleeping.

:::

The start of sleep training is why I did not work out last Friday, so I missed one of my three iFit treadmill workouts and my third day of 30 Day Shred. I am making up for it this week by doing four treadmill workouts and four days of 30 Day Shred. My break will be Wednesday, and I will do Biggest Winner: Cardio Kickboxing and the stretch segment from Slim in 6. Cardio Kickboxing is another Jillian Michaels' video and it is a good workout, if a little boring. I really want to be consistent and a work out a minimum of five days a week. If I can add another day or two of working out on the weekends, so much the better, if not, oh well, at least I got my five days in.

:::

I don't watch a lot of TV, there are only a handful of shows I watch, and there are almost all shows that Oscar watches with me. Usually we catch up on the weekends, since we typically don't have time during the week. However, The Biggest Loser is one of the shows that I watch when it comes on, otherwise I won't catch up with it on TiVo, and usually without Oscar. My dilemma is that tonight is the premier of American Idol, and they will be up against each other.

I am curious to see American Idol, especially with the changes they have made this season, and the auditions are usually entertaining, but I love The Biggest Loser. What to watch? I could flip between the two shows, but I also have to work on homework, which I usually focus on during commercial breaks. So what to choose? I find The Biggest Lower motivating, so I will probably choose to watch it over American Idol. I know I could TiVo American Idol, but doubt I will find the time to watch it when I have other shows to watch this weekend. Oh well, I will be fine without following the stories of this season's crop of Idol wannabes.

:::

Also, I forgot to mention - Nick now has two teeth. His second front tooth broke through a couple days after his first tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment