Monday, May 18, 2009

We Can Jerk It Out

I was trying to find a fitting song title to discuss the large amount of pain I'm in from the removal of my wisdom teeth on Friday. Apparently, there is a large collection of parody songs out there. Who knew? This one is a parody of the Beatles Song "We Can Work it Out". While that is not the reason my teeth had to come out, it is funny nevertheless.

Any way... I had my last two wisdom teeth removed on Friday. My mouth is still sore from it, especially the right side. Oscar went to work for a few hours and then took the rest of the day off to take care of me. I decided to be sedated for the procedure, since I was fully aware for my upper two when they were removed in high school and found it excruciating.

I had the first appointment of the day, and then went home to take a nap. Oscar went out and picked me up some lunch - Taco Bell's pintos 'n cheese, yummy... and then we caught up on some of the season finales from the week. It was nice to just chill at home with him minus the boys. We're really trying to make an effort to spend more time alone together, without cutting in too much to our limited time with Gabe and Nick.

As of today, I am still on a diet of soft foods. Soup, refried beans, yogurt, jello, pudding, apple sauce and vast amounts of ice cream (occasionally in milkshake form). I know, that is a well-rounded diet right there. It just hurts too much to chew still. The teeth were mostly still in the gums, since I have such a small jaw, so I guess my gums are still very irritated at being cut open to remove the teeth. I suppose I should have done this years ago, but I just couldn't bring myself to allow Military Dentists to do the job.


I am in too much pain to work out. Not that I've been doing a lot of that lately any way. I had a bad cold the last two weeks... and Nick hasn't been sleeping well... and I'm full of excuses as to why I can't work out. Despite having a treadmill and a large collection of workout DVDs.

In fact, Oscar recently bought a weight bench. Not that it has been set up. It's still sitting in its box in the garage, along with the two chairs for the boys, Gabe's bed (although that is a 4th birthday present), and the bookcase we got from IKEA a while back.

I really heart IKEA. Especially the show room where they lead you on a merry path to all the possibilities. You look at all the nice Swedish furniture with all its clean lines and organization and then you go back to your house with your flat box and realize that OMG you have to put that together now and no, your house will probably never look as neat or organized as the displays at IKEA.

My BIL and his wife live in Alaska and, unfortunately for them, there are no IKEAs in Alaska. Nor will IKEA ship to Alaska. They are expecting their first child in August and my SIL made the mistake of falling for an IKEA crib. So a few weeks ago Oscar and I, along with the boys and my MIL drove an hour and a half to IKEA (why are they never close?) to purchase the crib. Oscar shipped it last weekend, for DOUBLE the cost of the crib. Oh well. It's what she wanted, and I suppose it is still a small consolation prize, since my BIL is currently deployed and will remain deployed for the birth of the baby.
This is the crib my SIL wanted. It also converts to a toddler's bed.

This weekend wasn't the best weekend for me to be out of commission; although I did my best to muddle through. Gabe had soccer on Saturday, followed by a picnic for whole league. Plus, one of his friends had her birthday party on Sunday.

I missed Gabe's soccer practice on Saturday, since I choose to take a nap instead. The pain and the medication I'm on make me very tired. Oscar did have my MIL with him, so there was someone to watch Nick and keep track of Gabe, since Oscar is the coach for the team. I think that's very sweet of him. I know how much he loves sports and is eager to share that with the boys. Although, I think he will have better luck with Nick than he will with Gabe.

I did go with them to the picnic, but it started to rain, so I stayed in the car with Nick, while Oscar quickly took Gabe out there to see what that had set up for food and activities. The food was from Moes, which is not one of our favorite Mexican places, and we had to pay for it, so Oscar didn't get any. They did have some of the players from D.C. United there to sign autographs, so Gabe did get at least one player's autograph on a poster.


We also went to a party for one of Gabe's friends on Sunday. Gabe started gym class at one of the local children's gyms shortly after he turned one and a we are still friends with a few of the people he was in class with. One of the girls turned four this weekend and had her party at a place called Jump Works, basically it was a room filled with moon bounces with a party room upstairs. Both Gabe and Nick had a great time, and the other people we're still friends with were there, as well. I felt bad for N., she is due this week with her second child, so she was exhausted.

Nick loved the slides, which he kept asking Oscar to take him on. Unfortunately, you had to crawl through some really small opening's and climb up this makeshift ladder to get to the top. It got to be very tiring for Oscar to do that while carrying a 23 lb baby. Nick wanted to go down by himself, so I was always at the bottom waiting for him.

Gabe had the most fun playing with one of his friend's older brother - this is the nine-year-old we went to the movies with a couple weeks ago. They especially enjoyed playing on the pirate ship; at least that's what I think it was supposed to be. I didn't pay much attention to what it was.

I tried to bounce with Nick a bit, but due to the pain in my mouth, it started to make me nauseous. Luckily Nick enjoyed playing with the balls they had out as much as going on the moon bounces.

Unfortunately for the kids, we only got an hour on the equipment before it was time for pizza, cake, and goodie bags. Poor Gabe, he really wanted to go back down and bounce some more. I wish we had room for one of those little moon bounces at our townhouse. Nick wasn't feeling well, so he didn't eat much pizza or cake. Gabe was more than happy to eat the frosting off of the slice of cake that Nick didn't want.

I'm really glad we've managed to find Gabe friends to hang with, who also happen to have parents that Oscar and I like. It's nice for play dates, parties, and outings to actually have people we enjoy chatting with while the kids are off playing. I'm pretty introverted, and don't have any friends locally, so the only friends I have are the parents of Gabe's friends. I know that sounds pathetic, but I'm not good at socializing, and the forced socialization of activities for the children over the past few years has really helped me out.


The one thing that does not happen at parties here is the opening of gifts. I remember that being one of the big things at birthday parties when I was little. But nobody does around here. Is this now common every where? Or just here in Northern Virginia? We opened gifts once at Gabe's first birthday party, which was at my MIL's, but by the time his next party rolled around we had been to enough parties to know that it just wasn't something people did.

No comments:

Post a Comment