Monday, November 17, 2008

Knights on White Horses

I am frequently amazed at how different it is to do certain things when you have children. Before children Oscar and I regularly went out to dinner and a movie or went to a dinner show, such as the one at Medieval Times. It was easy, we hopped in the car and we went. It also was usually just us, as we were in that honeymoon phase and didn't require the company of other people. Fast forward three years to this past weekend.

On Saturday we decided that we want to take our three-year-old to Medieval Times. However, since I'm still nursing that also meant bringing our [almost] eight-month-old. On top of that we decided we would go with some friends. One couple has a three-year-old and a two-year-old and the other has a five-year-old and a three-year-old. It was a lot of people to try and coordinate, which is a role my husband typically takes on.

I was hoping that Nick, my baby, would sleep through the show or at least be content in his infant carrier. I also hoped that Gabe would eat some of the food that came with the cost of admission, which in case you have never been, is really good. Instead we had to get Gabe a burger (plain, no bun) and fries. Nick, however, was all about sharing Mommy's dinner and eagerly ate chicken and potato, in addition to his cheerios and bottle. He also spent the whole time on my lap, which meant I missed much of the show as I was too busy worrying about him.

The amount of stuff that you need to go any where with two children is amazing. Especially when it is about an hour to an hour and a half drive to your final destination. And if you forget something you are sure to need it. We had the stroller, two diaper bags (although Gabe is mostly potty trained), snacks, bottles, changes of clothes, toys, and loveys. Not to mention my pump, so that I could have the joy of pumping in the car to ensure that I didn't miss a session and Nick had fresh milk in case he wanted it during the show.

The boys usually go to be between 6:30 and 7:00, which seems early, but I have to be out the door for work by 7:00, so they need to go to sleep early to get enough sleep. Gabriel also is not a napper, so it is his only opportunity for sleep. The show ended about 6:00 and we were on the road by 7:00 after saying goodbye to our friends and making sure both boys ate one last time. In the car we changed both the boys into their pajamas and brushed their teeth so they were free to fall asleep in the car.

It was exhausting. We got home at about 8:30 and I was ready to go to sleep myself... on a Saturday. I used to stay up and watch Saturday Night live or still be at the movies or even ::gasp:: a bar. Of course, then I could sleep in as late as I wanted. Now I'm lucky if my three-year-old lets us sleep in past 6:30. I wouldn't change it, as I adore my boys, but sometimes I just wish I could get a little more sleep and remember what it was like to be out after dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment