Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Why I Blog

I discovered the world of blogging about two years ago when I came across a blog called Mom Moments on REDBOOK.com. At the time it was written by two writers, one of which is the delightful Julia, who at the time, was pregnant with twins. It wasn't until after the birth of her twins that I discovered she had a personal blog. Shortly after I also discovered Bree's Parental Discretion Advised written on parents.com. I only recently discovered her personal blog, and am glad I did, since she is no longer writing on parents.com.

I have added many more personal blogs to my Google reader since then, and was also inspired to start my own blog last year. The reason that reading blogs by other women who are mothers is that it is nice to have people I relate to. Who have moments I can understand or ask for advice I can give. The reason I blog is because sometimes I have something I want to say or something I want to remember and want a place to put it. Does it matter that nobody but me reads it? No. It's a way to hold on to a feeling or a memory.

When I read a blog with an experience I can relate to, I go yes, exactly, I know how you feel. Or if somebody with a child my age is asking for advice on a situation I've experienced I'll offer a comment. I feel like I'm part of a larger community. The best post I've read lately on how conflicted we often feel as mothers is this one by Linda of All & Sundry. I have those feelings. I've had that moment.

At this time in my life I have limited interaction with women in a similar situation, and those I do interact with are usually much older.

I grew up in Washington State, and now live in Virginia, so all of my high school friends are still where I grew up.

I was in the military, which is how I met my husband, but not in Virginia. Any friends I had in the military have either gotten out and gone back home or traveled to another duty station.

I work full-time in a job where I am surrounded by people much older than me. The women I do work with either have no children or grown children. When I'm home I'm interacting with my boys or doing schoolwork online, where I don't meet people.

I'm not in a position where I have the opportunity to meet many like-minded people. This is why blogging is so important. I can air my feelings in a semi-anonymous forum. I can read blogs written by women whose situations I can often relate to and understand. I can write comments and participate in this community. I feel like it is a place where I belong.

3 comments:

  1. Love your honesty and love this post.

    I grew up in Washington State too..in Seattle. You?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I grew up in one of Seattle's suburbs - Shoreline to be exact.

    ReplyDelete