Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bedtime Routine and Other Things

Most nights we follow the same bedtime routine with the boys, which usually works well for getting them to sleep without any problems. Then there are nights, like last night, when we mess with their routine, and they are a little more difficult to go to sleep than usual.


Usually I get home between 3:30 and 4:00 with the boys. They play a little bit and we have dinner around 5:00. After dinner they play until bath time, which is usually at 6:00. Bath time consists of using the potty for Gabe, as well as flossing and brushing, in addition to a bath or shower. After they are both in their pajamas, I read stories, two for Gabe unless it’s a really long story, and one for Nick. Then at 6:45 Oscar, the taxi, takes Gabe into bed and I take Nick. Nick gets a bottle of milk, and then calls Oscar in to brush his teeth. After that he gets a drink of water and goes to bed. They’re both usually out within 10-15 minutes.


Last night we decided to skip their bath and go for a car ride instead. They both seem to be coming down with colds, and Nick was a little cranky. Unfortunately, they seemed to energize each other and neither of them fell asleep in the car. Nick really wanted to play and Gabe wanted to ask questions about everything. Nick didn’t seem to want to relax until we were back home and I was rocking him in his room. He finished his milk bottle and had some water and then was asleep. Gabe was out shortly after getting into bed.


I guess that just goes to show that small children really are creatures of habit. We rarely mess with their routines, but when we do, it usually ends up taking them much longer to go to sleep than it normally would. We try to limit when we make changes, although we are going to the country house this weekend, so they will probably be a little challenged in going to sleep. Especially Gabe. He loves being up their so much that he has trouble winding down.

:::

Speaking of stories. We have some new favorites. Right now Gabe is very into both Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein, even if he doesn’t understand all the humor in the stories. I’ve mentioned before, I think, that he loves The Giving Tree, but we read Giraffe and a Half on Tuesday, and he like that very much. As for Dr. Seuss, he is very into both Green Eggs and Ham and The Lorax. Nick still loves his touch feely stories, with Little Feet Like... being his favorite of those. But, he’s also become attached to the class Goodnight Moon, which he likes to be read over and over and over again.


I’m glad they both really like books. I have such a love for them, that I would have been deeply disappointed if they were not interested in them. Unfortunately many of my favorite childhood series are probably ones they will never be interested in, to include Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, and the Betsy books. Oh well, I still enjoy them myself. Not to mention Little Women, The Little Princes, and The Secret Garden. Some they will like, including the Wizard of Oz series, and of course, the more recent Harry Potter series.

:::

Nick is really getting to be a toddler. I mean, he’s been walking and talking for a while, but he’s starting to get such a personality about it. His very words are mine and that. He will do something naughty just for the attention, and likes it even better sometimes, if you are telling him no while he’s doing it. Not to mention the tantrums if he doesn’t get his way. He also is even more curious about everything, but less likely to put it in his mouth.

I can’t believe how quickly they are both growing up. Gabe will be four in a week and a half. Four! I still can clearly recall the day he was born and he will be four. He’s looking forward to his party, which for once, will be held on his actual birthday. He and my MIL have already done a trial cake, and we have all the party supplies, as well as most of the replies for his guests. We’re going bowling Sunday afternoon, so he can practice before his party.

I love watching my boys grow up, I just can’t believe how quickly it’s happening. They were both babies, just yesterday, I swear! And yet, they’re not anymore. They are people, with their own minds, and likes, and desires. I love watching them grow and develop a stronger sense of self, even while I am nostalgic for the time when all they needed was a full belly and a clean diaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment